Re: How about a /proc/patches ?

C. Scott Ananian (cananian@lcs.mit.edu)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 03:04:11 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998 Andrea Arcangeli <arcangeli@mbox.queen.it> wrote:

> >Chris Fowler wrote:
> >> Is there anybody out there who has thought about creating a patch for the
> >> kernel that would create a file /proc/patches that would list in it all
> >> the patches applied to that kernel.
>
> This is a waste of kernel memory. At least that data should be compressed
> and swapped out.

How many patches are you planning to apply to your kernel!? I can't
imagine this taking more than 1k at most...

If you're willing to settle for a boot-time and dmesg record (no
/proc/patches), then your can ditch even your measly 1024 bytes after boot.

[I doubt compression will help much on this little data.]

> >Like in Henning's patch, patches are supposed to have one-line
> >description files in init/patches/. These lines are added to
>
> So why not run cat init/patches/* instead of /proc/patches?

Good point, but the answer's obvious: so that you can reconstruct a
running kernel if you trash your sources.

Besides, the other proposal was for a /proc/config that would
duplicate linux/.config. I'm sure I'm not the only one with a zillion
different kernels laying around with different configs; linux/.config
is overwritten quite easily. Judging from my current .config
(filtering out the "# CONFIG is not defined" messages), this would add
another 2k or so to the kernel. I'm sure this could be brought down
to less than 1k by using common-prefix compression.

It would be a config option, of course, but I for one would gladly
sacrifice 2k of kernel memory to know the exact configuration and
patching of each of the kernels sitting in /etc/lilo.conf.
--Scott
@ @