Re: Warning, cua2 opened, ...

Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds@kjahds.com)
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 21:22:13 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 20:31:58 -0500 (EST)
> From: Dave Wreski <dave@nic.com>
>
> > P.S. Paul Gortmaker's patches to display more information about which
> > programs were using the /dev/cuaXX devices is a Good Thing. I should
> > have thought of doing that, but I didn't.
>
> Would it be disasterous to change their major number to be the same, or
> convince the distribution maintainers to make cua -> tty?
>
> /dev/cuaXX devices have different behaviour than /dev/ttySxx devices, so
> it's probably not a good idea to symlink them. The trick is that we
> need to stop users from using them --- so the right thing to do is to
> convince distribution maintainers to *remove* the cua* devices, and then
> make sure they have updated programs and shell scripts that properly
> deal with the /dev/ttySxx devices.

Perhaps a handy little kernel warning on first use of a /dev/cuaxx (a la
broken flock), along with some Documentation describing exactly _what_ is
wrong is the cua devices, _why_ the tty devices should be used instead,
and _how_ programs should be converted to do this. Without that sort of
documentation, a conversion like this isn't much fun, or very fair to the
folks who just use the things without understanding them.