Re: New Feature Idea: Configurable text(msgs)

Alexander Kjeldaas (astor@guardian.no)
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 20:15:00 +0100

On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 01:09:24PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> During a irc session, I came up with a bright idea to be able to change the
> text, "core dump," either at compile time, or at run time through proc. This
> would not be an improvement, but hey, it's linux, and we can do anything we
> want.
>
> Some examples that we came up with:
>
> "Yeah, yeah, he said dump."
> "Oh my god, they taped the brutal slaying of Kenny!"
>
> I am not nescessarily saying someone else should do it. I just posted here
> before I got started on it myself. If someone else beats me to the punch,
> then great.
>
> Also, why not have most of the error messages configurable? Ie kernel
> translations into other languages?

Configurable error messages have been discussed before. Nobody came up
with a good enough scheme and implemented it. Configurable error
messages is something very few people are interested in. But if you
come up with something that doesn't bloat the kernel and that doesn't
bother people reading the source code too much I'm all for it.

astor

--
 Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
 http://www.guardian.no/