Re: New Feature Idea: Configurable text(msgs)

ketil@ii.uib.no
17 Mar 1998 20:21:42 +0100

Adam Heath <adam.heath@usa.net> writes:

> "Yeah, yeah, he said dump."
> "Oh my god, they taped the brutal slaying of Kenny!"

Heh, right.

> Also, why not have most of the error messages configurable? Ie kernel
> translations into other languages?

Gut reaction: No.

Pondering about it, I think it's an advantage that I can, in the event
of a kernel error message:

a) Do a search on Altavista for the message, and come up with people
who've had the same problem, and hopefully a solution as well. Even if
they're posting the rest of the post in German (babelfish, here I come!)
b) Mail the error message to developers, without having them twisting
their brain trying to work out the correct back-translation from
Norwegian to English (or whatever their working language is)
c) Rely on a complete set of sensible and consistent error messages
(i.e. what happens if somebody translates a kernel, and I apply patches
to it in a different language? )

With some clever design, b) and c) could be resolved I guess. But I
don't think it is worth it, and while the notion that kernel developers
ought to learn English is perhaps a bit arrogant, I don't think it's an
unreasonable demand.

Look at the extreme mess MS made out of trying to i18n their stuff, I
get every app in a weird mixture of Norwegian, English and German.

Not that my vote counts a lot, of course.... :-)

~kzm