Re: Some ideas for the kernel wishlist

ak@muc.de
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 20:30:57 +0200

On Mon, Apr 06, 1998 at 08:03:11PM +0200, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > But then there must be a sysctl to obtain the currently selected
> > > value. So far, the libc has to guess and uses a constant value.
> >
> > Just make the sysctl read-only, and use the variable only for the sysctl
> > interface (and the constant in the rest of the code).
> >

> Users wont have /proc mounted when they first need HZ. And sysctl is optional
> right now. I guess 'sod it 100Hz' works for the non sysctl case. Also
> caching it at glibc init means the cost is close to nil

You don't need /proc mounted to read sysctls - there is still the sysctl()
system call. If users compile their kernels without sysctls they're out
of luck though. With more and more fundamental features (e.g. ip forwarding)
depending on sysctl I think it'll be more and more unlikely that users
compile kernels without sysctl. In these cases I think it is reasonable
to just fall back to a default value like glibc already does.

-Andi