Re: linux 2.1.93 xd driver does not compile

Andrzej Krzysztofowicz (ankry@green.mif.pg.gda.pl)
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 11:49:06 +0200 (CEST)

> To: ankry@mif.pg.gda.pl, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu, torvalds@transmeta.com
> Subject: linux 2.1.93 xd driver does not compile
>
> The xd driver in the Linux 2.1.93 kernel does not compile.
> I have attached the patch below. This patch is a little ugly. If
> I knew what the purpose of "if (xd[3]<=0)" is and why the xd[] array
> only seem to be declared if the driver is a module, I might be able to
> make a prettier patch.
>
> Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 205
> adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034

I don't think your patch is better because it means we expect different
driver behaviour when passing the "xd=" parameter to the kernel and to the
module.
It is safer to force user to pass all parameters to the kernel/driver
manually (then the "address" is set to zero) than rely on this
pseudo-autodetection of the base I/O address.

> - case 0xCA000: if (xd[3]<=0) xd_iobase = 0x324;
> + case 0xCA000:
> +#ifdef MODULE
> + if (xd[3]<=0)
> +#endif
> + xd_iobase = 0x324;

The patches for 2.1.84 and Alan's 2.0.34pre7 I send in the next letter

with regards