Re: faster strcpy()

Stefan Monnier (monnier+lists/linux/kernel/news/@TEQUILA.SYSTEMSZ.CS.YALE.EDU)
25 Apr 1998 18:11:53 -0400

Alexander Kjeldaas <astor@guardian.no> writes:
> inlined 'mov' instructions. This was not done for the pentium which as
> a much simpler "RISC"-like internal design.

The Pentium indeed has a much simpler design. But RISC-like, no. Not even
between a handful of quotes. A "RISC-like" internal design cannot exist since
RISC refers to a style of instruction sets and has nothing whatsoever to do
with any implementation style.

Note also that "not being RISC-like" is no desease. x86 processors are good
enough I believe that they can proudly claim CISCness rather than try to fool
people into believing they are somwhat RISC-like.

Stefan "strongly favorable to RISC nonetheless"