Re: minor patch for 2.1.103 drivers/char/selection.c

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Thu, 28 May 1998 12:17:27 -0400

George wrote:

> Don't suppose there's any chance of this causing a 'locked virtual
> terminal'? I've experienced two of them with 2.1.99 in the past week.
> Symptoms include a perfectly functioning system but the virtual terminal
> cannot change. ALT+Fxx does nothing, A program to change terminals stalls
> on ioctl(x, VT_WAITACTIVE, x).

Hi George,

I don't think the selection patch would have any effect good or bad on
the virtual terminal switching code. If a selection buffer was released
prematurely the problem would likely show up as garbage characters
pasted to the screen.

IIRC there have been problem reports of virtual terminals locking so
they can't be changed, and I don't recall anyone having tracked down and
fixed the bug yet.

Regards,
Bill