Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #2026

Jean Tourrilhes (jt@hplb.hpl.hp.com)
Thu, 28 May 1998 17:53:37 +0100 (BST)

> From: David Woodhouse <Dave@imladris.demon.co.uk>
> Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 15:46:47 +0100 (BST)
> Subject: Re: Error detecting netcards in 2.0.34pre16
>
> On Fri, 29 May 1998, Paul Gortmaker wrote:
>
> > In regards to ordering your cards the way you want, you have
> > several options.
> >
> > 1) use modular drivers & "alias ethN drivername"
>
> Doesn't necessarily work.
>
> alias eth0 tulip
> alias eth1 ne
>
> ifconfig eth1 10.0.0.1
> ifconfig eth0 131.111.217.153
>
> The drivers are loaded in the wrong order.

This is even more painfull if you are playing with a laptop
pcmcia cards and cards in a docking station. I've got 100vg in the
docking station and wavelan as pcmcia. Depending on the mood of the
day, either one could be eth0.
The solution, for me, was to modify the driver :

alias wavelan eth3
option wavelan name=eth3
alias eth2 hp100
options hp100 hp100_name=eth2

eth0 and eth1 are reserved for pcmcia.

Jean

P.S. : The modification of the driver is trivial (see hp100 & wavelan)