Re: Ring-Detect and PPP

Craig B Agricola (agricolc@btv.ibm.com)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:01:03 -0400

Hi Rod,
I did the exact same thing that you are describing to get access to my
machine at home from here at work. It works beautifully. I even had the
problem that the IP address wasn't static, but that is easily fixed, since
I could e-mail my machine at work with the IP address once I was connected.
My problem (and the reason that I disabled it until I could rewrite the scripts)
was that telemarketers (I guess) would call my machine, and then my machine
would call the service provider. Since my service provider wouldn't time out
my connection, if I wasn't around to disconnect it, it would just stay connected,
which lead to really really high phone bills. If that isn't a problem for you,
then the script is really simple to write. I believe that most of the work
was done with 'chat' waiting for a [RING] and then if chat exited successfully,
the ppp-connect script was run. The script gets a little more complex if you
want to automatically disconnect under smart circumstances. YMMV.

-Craig

--
 Craig B. Agricola    W: (802) 769-4636
  Work Related Email: agricolc@btv.ibm.com