Re: Thread implementations...

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 11:13:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Larry McVoy wrote:

> Are these tests open-close or just for the read/write vs sendfile?
> I would expect that it would make little difference for large files, but
> I'm interested in small file performance.

It was just read-write vs sendfile vs map-write-munmap (vs the "perfect"
numbers of a just write). All the cases require the same open-close code,
so I didn't think that was worth testing because it shouldn't change
relative timings, just add constant overhead.

It _would_ perhaps be interesting to see if it is worthwhile to change the
sendfile() interface to do the open-close inside sendfile, and pass
sendfile a filename. The reason I didn't do that is that I suspect that
any real use of sendfile() would have to open the file for other reasons
anyway (to do a "stat" on it to get modification times, for example) and
in that case it would be a bad interface to require us to do another name
lookup.

Linus