Re: Low-memory compile times

John Campbell (jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com)
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 16:54:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Perry Harrington wrote:

> This looks more like a scheduler issue than anything, notice that the CPU utilization
> went down and the compilation time went up, but the User and System seconds were almost
> the same. It's doing the same work, it's just using less of the CPU at the time. Maybe
> it's scheduling, maybe it's something else consuming the time. I've got a P100 8MB
> laptop, I'll download 2.1.110 and compile it, try tweaking a few things, and going
> again.

The machine is 99% idle except for kernel builds... I don't use it
for anything except testing new kernels for stability and such before I move
them over to my production servers. (Well, that and RC5... but that's niced
to the point that it shouldn't interfere with anything. I can try it again
without the RC5 client running if anyone thinks it makes a difference.) I
suspect that the extra cycles are going to swapping operations, because I've
noticed that the 2.1 kernels on this machine hit the swap a lot earlier and
use a lot more of it.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

QotD: The unfacts, did we have them, are too imprecisely few to warrant our certitude.