Re: Quick NetBEUI question

Tue, 28 Jul 1998 17:43:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Erik Corry wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 01:41:16PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> > > You just got NetBEUI and NetBIOS mixed up. And your
> >
> > No. The network I helped develop is NETBIOS. I damned well know how
> > it works. And it's spelled NETBIOS. Maybe NetBIOS is something
> > else?
>
> Take a look at RFCs 1001 and 1002 at eg
> http://SunSITE.auc.dk/RFC/ . This is (part of) the specification
> of NetBIOS encapsulated in IP. Is this the protocol you helped
> design?

No. NETBIOS was developed as an improvement to XNS, Xerox Network Systems.
It consists of:
(1) Ethernet ETH or Token Ring (TOK) as the IOS Data Link
(2) Internetwork Datagram Protocol (IDP) and Routing Information Protocol
(RIP) as the ISO Network Layer.
(3) Sequenced Packet Protocol (SPP) for the ISO Transport layer
(4) NETBIOS, coupled with MINDS is the ISO Session Layer. MINDS
is MS-DOS Internal Network Driver Scheme.
(5) The ISO application / presentation layer consists of the
Microsoft redirector and/or the application interface through
the session-level software interrupt, INT 2A/2F(hex), and Application
interface through software interface INT 5C(hex).

I worked for Xerox in Lionville Pennsylvania at the time. As a Junior
Engineer, I had to document all this stuff because I was one of the
few Engineers who could write English.

Before PCs ran Windows and Unixes, there were only TWO ways to
communicate via network. They were Novell's IPX/SPX and IBM/Microsoft's
NETBIOS which was developed from (and presumably licensed from) Xerox's
XNS.

3COM's NBIOS Programmer's Reference, the Bible of Network Programmers
at the time (circa 1987), accurately describes this.

> It doesn't mention NetBEUI anywhere, which is unsurprising
> since NetBEUI is an alternative (older) encapsulation for
> NetBIOS and as such has nothing to do with IP.

NetBEUI was Microsoft's temporary solution to connectivity when
Windows 3.x was developed. The idea was to be able to communicate
with other machines that ran Microsoft Networks (NETBIOS).

As such, it encapsulated NETBIOS packets in TCP/IP. The Ethernet hardware
destination is always ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff. This means that will go
everywhere your LAN goes, and every packet will interrupt every
PC (where it has to be examined and dumped on the ground).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.111 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).