Re: TCP Stalls.

Tue, 1 Sep 1998 20:22:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, David S. Miller wrote:

> I don't think any TCP stack is going to behave very well at all when
> every 4th packet is dropped. This prevents TCP from gaining any
> momentum, and prevents completely any possibility to perform fast
> retransmit because there are not enough packets in flight. So you
> will eat the full retransmit timeout for recovery every time, and this
> timeout will increase more and more as the connection drags on.
>
> I'm not debugging based upon this, it cannot legitimately demonstrate
> any bug.

Yes, Yes. I'm not looking at the TCP/IP layer. I'm thinking that I
can demonstrate the behavior of the PPP Link. I know that I can send
data between two Linux computers via RS-232C/Modems/Phone-lines, with
an occasional small data loss, less that 1/2 percent. This, from
user-mode 'C' programs.

The intermittant data-flow pattern (beat) is most exactly what I get
from PPP.

The TCP stalls that I observe occur only from PPP links. Maybe
flow-control doesn't work in PPP?

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.118 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).