Re: F00F...

Thomas Wouters (thomas@xs4all.nl)
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:37:08 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Petr Vandrovec Ing. VTEI writes:
> > Hello,
> > I think that followig patch can help those who have SMP kernel
> > and F00F Pentium and new kernels does not show it in cpuinfo.
> > Problem is that check_bugs is called after processors are started
> > and it is not good idea. I've tested in only on UNI motherboard,
> > but I think that this must work. Patch is against 2.1.120pre3.
>
> IIRC, check_bugs() was moved to after smp_begin() for some reason. So
> your patch may break something again.

May very well be, but right now, it breaks a lot of things. boot_cpu_data is
used to initialize every cpu, and check_bugs fills a large part of it:

__initfunc(static void check_bugs(void))
{
check_cyrix_cpu();
identify_cpu(&boot_cpu_data);
#ifndef __SMP__
printk("CPU: ");
print_cpu_info(&boot_cpu_data);
#endif
check_cx686_cpuid_slop();
check_tlb();
check_fpu();
check_hlt();
check_popad();
check_amd_k6();
check_pentium_f00f();
system_utsname.machine[1] = '0' + boot_cpu_data.x86;
}

The change occured somewhere between 2.1.114 and 2.1.116, maybe 2.1.115 (i
_think_ my 2.1.115 tree+kernel are pre-something, but i'm not sure.)
Since then, the above things may have been weird. Then again, I might be
wrong, I'm not really a kernel hacker, I only browsed it, just now.

Please correct me :)