Re: 3rd Party Patches / patches directory

Mike (mike@oakley.keble.ox.ac.uk)
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 11:41:36 +0100 (GMT)

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Clifford Wolf wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Mike wrote:
>
> > > Locally is ment as on the server of the patches archive. Remote in this
> > > meaning would be on the site of the maintainer of this patch. The idea
> > > is that the maintainer only needs to update the description file on
> > > his download page - the server which holds the patch archive updates his
> > > copies automatically (lets say every 4 hours - this files are not big).
> >
> > Ah, OK. I was misunderstanding you. Maybe the patch maintainer could
> > have some way of triggering the script to be run whenever he updates
> > something? Checking all the patches every 4 hours would presumeably
> > generate a significant amount of unneeded traffic, and might there be
> > problems if servers go down?
>
> I don't see so much traffic for this. Since bugfixes are not allowed I
> don't thing that there will be more than a maximum of a few hundret

Yeah, but a few hundred HTTP/FTP connections coming from a single machine
all at once, completely unecesarily, is a waste of bandwidth. OK, maybe
not all that much, but I would have thought it would be enough that you'd
notice it.

> patches. HTTP and FTP support updates - this means that the file is only
> downloaded again if there is _really_ a newer version of it. Otherwise

True.

--
Mike <rickettm@ox.compsoc.net>

"Those who believe in astrology are living in houses with foundations of Silly Putty." - Dennis Rawlins, astronomer