Re: Out Of Memory in v. 2.1

T Taneli Vahakangas (vahakang@cs.Helsinki.FI)
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 14:07:46 +0300 (EET DST)

Hello!

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Tom Vier wrote:

> i think that's a little extreme. over-committing is much more
> efficient. i, personaly, wouldn't be against a CONFIG option, or maybe
> /proc/sys/vm/something_or_other to toggle the vm style.

Please somebody educate me and tell what is the intended meaning of
/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory in 2.1.x? Looking at the code it looks like
it controls whether the kernel is allowed to overcommit mmeory or not.

... but I have been wrong before ...

Taneli <vahakang@cs.helsinki.fi>