Re: Cosmetic Changes: ensuring decency of the Linux Kernel Source.

Raymond A. Ingles (inglesra@frc.com)
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:27:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Henrik Olsen wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> > I did a grep of the kernel for the "f-word" and to my surprize, found
> > plenty...
[...]
> <lots of examples snipped>
> > ./arch/sparc64/kernel/sys_sparc32.c: panic("Tell DaveM he fucked up...");
>
> Personally I would consider this one the only case where a change would
> make sense, as it's a messsage seen by the users [...]

Actually, this seems a reasonable course of action. Comments are one
thing, but the binary ought to be reasonably polite, even in a panic
situation. :-> Besides, it's not like "Aiee!" and "Urg!" aren't humorous
or descriptive...

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (248) 377-7735 ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

"Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman
she meets and then teams up with three complete strangers to kill again."
- TV listing for the Wizard of Oz in the Marin Independent Journal