Re: 2.1.124: ext2fs corruption and kernel panic

Jakob Borg (jborg@df.lth.se)
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 21:15:08 +0000

On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 02:42:32PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 18:38:39 +0000, Jakob Borg <jborg@df.lth.se> said:
>
> > About two minutes before this I had begun to notice strange behavior,
> > Makefiles and config.h in a project I was working on suddenly became full
> > of random binary crap.
>
> Random memory corruption: oh dear.

It wasn't memory corruption, it was corrupted _on_ _disk_, several reads from disk returned the same result. In one case the file begun with an ELF header so i suspect it might have been the inode/directory entry or something like that.

Also, I have no problems whatsoever with my memery otherwise, weeks of uptime with a heavile loaded system.

> > After reboot there was no serious corruption, e2fsck mentioned
> > config.h as having a deleted but not cleared inode or some such, sorry
> > but my memory fails me. Also a bunch of inodes with zero dtime.
>
> OK, so the corruption was in cache, but not on disk. Doesn't sound like
> an ext2 issue: what drivers are you running?

Me not being an fs expert (far from it) I wonder what makes you so sure it was in the cache? Config.h was one of the files (Makefile was the other, i was editing both) that was 'hit' by the error and fsck found an error in that file's inode.

Concerning my drivers, my .config can be found out http://replay.linuxpower.org/config (don't want to flood the list).

Any other facts i can give, please ask.

--
Jakob Borg <jborg@df.lth.se>
[Debian GNU/Linux 2.0 narayan 2.1.125 i586]

GCS/M d- s a?@ C++>++++ ULSIU+++ P+++ L+++ E W+@ N++ !o K- w--- O-- M-- V PS+ PE- Y+ PGP++ t++@ 5+++ R- tv b+ DI++ D+ G++ h r++ y?