Re: Is the kernel compiler gcc by definition?

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 15:17:59 -0400

Kurt Garloff <garloff@kg1.ping.de> said:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 1998 at 05:48:23PM -0400, RHS Linux User wrote:
> > Is there a policy on what C constructs may be in the kernel?
> > Or is gcc the de-facto definition of what kind of code is allowed?
> > Or something else?

> Try
> make CC="my_cc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include"
> and see if another compiler complains, if you have one.

It will most certainly crash. The kernel uses lots of gcc-isms (that egcs
inherited, so 2.1.xxx shouldn't make trouble with egcs, 2.0.xx surely
does). Just think asm() syntax, label variables, inline functions, various
extensions in macros, ...

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616