Re: Linux 2.1.126pre2ac2

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
20 Oct 1998 13:03:38 +0200

In article <m0zVPjy-0007UIC@the-village.bc.nu>,
alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:
> Is now on ftp.linux.org.uk:/pub/linux/alan/2.1/..

> I've eliminated a collection of small problems and glitches people
> reported (SYSCTL=y NET=n should now work PROCFS=m might work) and
> small errors. The main changes this time are in the MCA side of things.
> There is also another BT8x8 tv card variant supported.

> The sound stuff is still broken for mmap, and for some unload cases.
> I've got a pile of very promising patches from Oleg Drokin to merge for
> the latter bits which should help no end next release.

> The great egcs -O3 problem is still there. Colin Plumb pinned the bug
> down but his workaround patch stops it working at all in gcc 2.7.2 8(

I wouldn't worry about -O3. -O3 is just -O2 -finline-functions. And
-finline-functions is stupid to use with the Linux kernel because all
functions where inline makes sense are explicitely declared __inline__,
and for the others it is most likely a loss (increasing register
pressure on x86 and bloating the L1 cache footprint)

-Andi