Re: Volume Managers in Linux

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 00:31:46 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Shawn Leas wrote:

> Because LVM is basically at it's core a physical -> logical address
> remapping mechanism, RAID, mirroring, and all the goodies fit REAL
> nice in userland.

ugh ... RAID in user-land? Have you thought about the performance
implications yet? How do you implement features like 'idle IO bandwith
utilization' in user-space (it's part of the kernel-space RAID driver)?
How do you boot from such a device? What do you do if the user-space RAID
code happens to page-in itself from ... a RAID-device? User-space RAID is,
believe me, unbelievably more complex (thus slower) than kernel-space
RAID. Frankly, i can see no good reason to put RAID into user-space, only
(unnecessary) problems.

-- mingo