Re: why umsdos?

Horvath Akos (maxx@yuc.sch.bme.hu)
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 16:17:40 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> I don't like umsdos personally. Have you considered using a file on the
> msdos filesystem with an ext2 filesystem on it instead? I have a machine
> with its root filesystem mounted on /dev/loop0. A little playing with
> initrd makes this quite easy. This means you have no need for a untfs
> (and in my case, no need for a uadfs).

Five reasons to not to use this:
- You can not resize an ext2fs image - repartitioning is better, because
FIPS, presizer or Partition Magic can resize msdos partitions
- You can not read az ext2fs image from dos
- It will be slow (ok, umsdos is slow too)
- A newbie will never be able to set up a looproot distribution
- Looproot is problematic and untested (for example it does not work in
vfat but works on an msdos partition)

I think, a general ums-like pseudo-ext2-fs over not only umsdos, but all
non unix-compatible fs were very good and useful for the linux community.

MaXX