Re: SoundBlaster Live

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 12:56:43 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Robert Cicconetti wrote:

> Sorry; This statement is misleading:
>
> http://www.sblive.com/product/faq.html#A8
>
> "Since Sound Blaster Live! only offers near perfect Sound Blaster
> compatibility, can I keep my existing Sound Blaster 16/32/AWE32/AWE64 in my
> system to get 100% Sound Blaster compatibility?
>
> Yes, you can. You may however encounter potential resource/allocation issues
> (IRQ & DMA channels)"

This is misleading: "near perfect" aparently means "with a driver" and
"only under DOS/WINDOWS". I've got one now. It doesn't fly under Linux at
all. If there is anyone here REALLY intrested in making a driver, you can
have mine (It's a value ver, and was given to me by a cust)

> http://www.sblive.com/product/faq.html#C11
> "Does Sound Blaster Live! support DOS-based/mode Games?
>
> Yes. It offers SB16 emulation"

No it doesn't, it offers a stupid driver hack.