Re: NFS in 2.1.130??

Fri, 4 Dec 1998 02:34:53 +0000

On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 09:48:12AM -0800, Joel Klecker wrote:
> That's not true, we do have a mail locking standard: dotlocking.
> (http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch5.html#s5.5)

Even with _all_ MUAs and MTAs using dot-locking, I still expect to see
lost mail over NFS. It's a cache synchronisation problem, not a locking
problem.

Debian's policy of just dot-locking appears broken to me, whereas an
fcntl()-everywhere policy (perhaps with dot-locking as well for
compatibility with NFS servers running other OSes) would be ok. With
the recent NFS changes, that is.

Please prove me wrong.

Awaiting correction,
-- Jamie