Re: [linux-audio-dev] ISA Plug & Play support in kernel

kernel@whitestar.soark.net
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 04:17:51 -0500

On Sat, Jan 02, 1999 at 03:56:33AM -0500, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
<snip>

<snip reasons which can be /FULLY/ handled in user space with a script
or a nice interface>

> 4. If the hardware changes, such a config file may cause conflicts.
> The system might not even boot after a hardware or Windows upgrade.
> (Windows is known to change BIOS PnP settings!)

If change hardware you have a good change of windows being unbootable as
well, as such configuring the BIOS to just leave the PnP devices
unconfigured works fine for %90 of the cases.

> 5. This is not PnP. It is software jumpers. PnP exists because it
> is moronic to make the user tell the computer about the computer.
> Computers ought to be able to determine their own innards.

Use PCI then.

> 6. This won't let us reallocate devices. If I have n IRQs available
> for the ISA bus and cards that need n+2 IRQs, I ought to be able
> to use all but 2 devices at the same time without deciding that
> 2 particular devices just won't ever function. The kernel needs
> to move IRQs as needed so that I can freely use my hardware.
> Userspace can't handle this at all.

How can I best say this..

Shoot, I'm not even going to /TRY/ to communicate this to someone who
understands the internals so little as to suggest such a down right
/INSANE/ and /EXTREMELY DANGEROUS/ thing go into the kernel..

Please, go and read the archives, take special note of Linus's reaction
to ISA PnP support in the kernel..

Zephaniah E, Hull..