Re: modutils 2.1.121 breaking autoloading of 2.0.x modules?

Juan Antonio Martinez (jantonio@dit.upm.es)
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:45:31 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Ben Kosse wrote:

> Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:00:52 -0800
> From: Ben Kosse <BKosse@thecreek.com>
> To: "'linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu'" <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>,
> "'alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk'" <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
> Subject: modutils 2.1.121 breaking autoloading of 2.0.x modules?
>
> While I have no concerns about this on one of my home machines, I'm finding
> myself very wary of upgrading another to 2.2.0pre kernels because of this
> problem. It seems that modutils 2.1.121 did something that keeps the modules
> from autoloading. I noticed this first when GPM failed to start and then I
> couldn't dial-up to my ISP because the serial port module hadn't loaded. I
> tried a complete kernel rebuild of 2.0.36 to no avail and decided to "give
> up" and go with 2.2.0pre and above.
>
> Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has noticed this glitch.

Me too: i had to recover my old kerneld from modutils 2.1.85 and
install it instead of 2.1.121. Rest of binaries work fine in newer version
with 2.0 and 2.2 kernels

No problem at all: in rc.kerneld just test about kernel version: if
in 2.0.X just use "kerneld". in 2.[12].X use "kmod"
( I had to make a little trick to manage conf.modules, but a minor problem. )

Juan Antonio \|||/
/ _ _ \
\ o o /
Juan Antonio Martínez Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
email: jantonio@dit.upm.es E.T.S.I Telecomunicación
http://www.dit.upm.es/~jantonio Ciudad Universitaria s/n
Tel: 34-1-5495700 ext 328 Centro de Cálculo
Fax: 34-1-3367333 Madrid, Spain