Re: Tar (but not cp) is incredible slow on certain dirs; request for comments/solution ideas/clues.

Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 19:38:29 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Dr. Michael Weller wrote:

> I tried using both CPU's or only one (disabling it from the bios). I tried
> kernel 2.0.36 and 2.2.0pre7 (always with SMP compiled in (even when only 1
> CPU was used)). I also tried restricting the kernel memory to 64MB (side
> note: It appeared (!) to be a little faster with this setting, I assume
> handling/searching 1Gig of disk caches is much too slow. If it is not
> possible to speed the handling of cache memory up, maybe it is smarter to
> allow to set the kernel to use a maximum of n MB of buffer/caches memory.

Which distro and libc? RedHat 5.0 shipped with a broken glibc which
couldn't completely disable NIS and NIS+ so when it came across a uid
in the filesystem that it didn't know about (like torvalds=1046 :) it
broadcast around the network for a nis server to identify the miscreant.
And then it waited for 2-3 secs and gave up and stored only the numberic
ID in the tar file. And then it went onto the next file...

I suspect that this is your problem.

Matthew.