RE: Removable media bug

Simon Richter (geier@phobos.fachschaften.tu-muenchen.de)
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:36:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, BROWN Nick wrote:

> In the original post, Giuliano said that he umounted the drive, so
> everything the system knew about the drive should have been thrown away
> then, surely ?

Exactly. Just as a umount forces writing of all buffers, it must
invalidate the buffers. I'm curious why noone noticed that earlier.

> This kind of situation could cause all kinds of nasty disk corruption in
> Windows 3.1, for example with Excel, when an application kept a file open on
> a diskette across a disk swap.

Well, they managed a fix for this later, at least I had trouble when I
formatted a disk with a still open file in another machine. Excel would
insist to get the old floppy back. But no data corruption occurred to me.

*sigh* a point where Windows 3.1 is better than Linux... :-)

Simon