Re: [patch] TCP/IP delacks disabled with MPI

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Mon, 24 May 1999 18:06:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Andi Kleen wrote:

>Not wrong, but I don't think it is the best way to fix the issue. Currently
>the ack send decision check in Linux 2.2 has been grown to be very complex.
>This is a bad thing. Your patch makes it much more complex.

While it may look more complex it looks robust and quite obviously right
and the TCP performances shouldn't decrease according to me (as worse it
will check _two_ skb in the receive queue before returning).

>Quick ack mode is a existing mechanism that could be extended to fix it
>better.

Could you explain better your way?

quickack is just a bit that when is set then delacks are forbidden. When
will you set the quickack bit?

Right now we use it to force the first ack after the three way handshake
because at that time the sender has cwnd = 1. So with quickack we avoid
having to wait ato to expire before allowing the sender to give us more
data.

Right now we use it also when we receive retransmitted or out of order
packets, in order to advertise the sender aboute our current rcv_nxt.

Andrea Arcangeli