Re: Huge patches such as ISDN

Kai Germaschewski (kai@thphy.uni-duesseldorf.de)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:38:58 +0200 (CEST)

Hi!

M Carling wrote:

>> We DO benefit from the inclusion of the new ISDN patch which has not
been
>> updated as far back as the stable 2.0.x series. Commercial companies
like
>> SuSE which have a very big share in the Linux distribution market here
>> will probably also like to see the ISDN patch included. Ofcourse, due
>> the fact that they're very close to the ISDN developpers they will
>> include it somehow in their upcoming releases (as they did with 2.2.x).
>
> Certainly, some people would benefit from the inclusion in 2.4 of the
new
> ISDN code. However, many more would be put at risk. I don't want to see
> a repeat of the instability of 2.2.n (where n<12). The 2.1/2.2
> development
> cycle was less than perfect. Let's try to learn from it and do better in
> the future. I think Linus is on the right track with 2.3. The sooner we
> have a feature freeze, the better.

There's no way why this should happen with the ISDN patches. First of all,
people who don't use ISDN are not affected. The isdn files are in
/drivers/isdn only (and some header files in include/linux). The patches
don't touch a single file in the non-ISDN code.
Secondly, ISDN is pretty well tested. Since the ISDN code in < 2.2.11 did
work for only few people and few cards, everbody used the CVS development
code any way, so there's actually hundreds of people using it in
everyday's life.

I've been following ISDN4Linux development for more than a year now, and
there's not been a single report of isdn crashing the kernel (apart from a
bug in some BIOSes which initialised some cards to a wrong PCI location).

John Hayward-Warburton wrote:

> I have had this for many months on many kernels, but not on early
> 2.1.x kernels. Unloading and reloading the entire ISDN module tree
> clears the problem. See many previous posts, including tcpdumps.
> For a while around 2.2.0 it seemed to go away. Andi Kleen was very
> helpful in narrowing down what was happening, but perhaps we should
> find the most appropriate isdn4linux developer's address and forward
> a concise summary?

The best address is probably i4ldeveloper@listserv.isdn4linux.de, it's a
mailing list. Actually, I'm not sure if it's open to post for
non-subscribers, so if not send it to me, I'll forward it.

Do you use VJ-Header Compression? There was a bug fixed recently, I don't
know if the patch already made its way to the kernel source.

cu,
Kai