Re: Massive pagefaults...anything to worry about?

Ken Pizzini (ken@halcyon.com)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 02:50:40 -0700

On linux-kernel, message <19990822171643.A31248@storm.local>,
Andreas Bombe <andreas.bombe@munich.netsurf.de> wrote:
>On Sat, Aug 21, 1999 at 09:42:59PM -0500, Robert A. Hayden wrote:
>> I have a new RH6.0 system and everythng seems to be working great on it,
>> but I am getting a thing that is causing me a little concern and I want to
>> see if it is anything to be worried about.
>
>This is nothing to be worried about. Pagefaults are a normal tool of
>execution for a virtual memory OS. Usually memory mappings are set up
>without the contents being usable yet or being swapped out.
>> [/usr/src/linux] # time make -j 2
>> 261.12user 19.01system 2:27.53elapsed 189%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k
>> 0inputs+0outputs (1538887856major+-51006598minor)pagefaults 0swaps
>
>This is fine, except that the signed variables in your time executable
>overflow so that you see negative numbers.

Yes, page faults are perfectly normal... but 1.5 billion major
page faults in 2.5 minutes? Surely that can't be right?

--Ken Pizzini