RE: modutils check for SMP

Bret Indrelee (breti@bit3.com)
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:48:10 -0500

Alan Cox [alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk] wrote:
> Kurt Garloff [garloff@suse.de] wrote:
> > There is CONFIG_MODVERSIONS which should prevent any module
> incompatibiliti=
> > es.
>
> It does
>
> > However, I don't use it, because it caused seom headache
> some time ago
> > (Modules not loading any more after reconfiguring and
> recompiling the
> > kernel.) I believe only few people use it.
>
> So basically you are saying "It exists, but I dont want to
> use it, however
> I'd like to whine anyway".
>
> Modversions is designed to catch all potential compatiblity
> cases across
> kernel rebuilds, not just SMP. If you reconfigure/recompile
> and structs change
> size it will do its job.

As I understand the problem, if there is a kernel rebuild and the structure
sizes don't change it fails. It will still complain about incompatibility
(because all it checks is the kernel version) even when none of the
interfaces it is using have changed.

When you use it, you can't upgrade your kernel version any more without
recompiling all your loadable modules.

If I've misunderstood this, please correct me. I would like some sort of
compatibility check in the product I'm working on but this one appears to be
too severe.

-Bret

SBS Technologies, Connectivity Products
... solutions for real-time connectivity

Bret Indrelee, Engineer
SBS Technologies, Inc., Connectivity Products
1284 Corporate Center Drive, St. Paul MN 55121
Direct: (651) 905-4731
Main: (651) 905-4700 Fax: (651) 905-4701
E-mail: bindrelee@sbs-cp.com http://www.sbs.com