Re: 2.2.12: serial driver swapping characters?

Ulrich Windl (ulrich.windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 08:20:48 +0200

On 8 Sep 99, at 13:47, Kris Karas wrote:

> Ulrich Windl wrote:
>
> > I see wrong time strings quite frequently.
> > "\x0201.09.99; 3; 01:41:117 S \x03"
> > "\x0201.09.99; 3; 01:43:17; \x03"
>
> Hi Ulrich, et al,
>
> I just saw the first instance of what might be serial corruption last night
> running 2.3.16. The kernel dumped "VJ Decompression Error" onto my console
> while I was using PPP over an error-correcting modem link. I have no idea if
> this was due to the serial stream or something in the TCP layer; but if the
> former, and the serial code from 2.3 was back-ported to 2.2, then perhaps the
> errors are related.

Let me throw in that the problem did not occur on a faster machine,
so there might be some race conditions. Slow hardware can't explain
swapped chracters or duplicated ones IMHO.

Anyone with a real slow machine out there?

Regards,
Ulrich