Re: Web site on IDE patch status

Robert (robert@abilina.org)
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 08:17:21 -0500 (EST)

Andre, Thanks so much for the reply. In my case I am using a BE6
motherboard made my ABIT. This mother board has all 4 IDE channels build
into it, so there is no PCI card. However when looking at the way the
BIOS acts, I think the motherboard emulates a PCI card with this chipset.
So even though there is no plugin card, everything may look as if there is
from a software point of view. At the moment here is my current setup.
which works at UDMA33:

IDE1----------------Hard Drive(pri)--------CD rom(sec)
IDE2----------------Hard Drive(pri)--------Hard Drive(sec)
IDE3---- (unattached)
IDE4---- (unattached)

Now if I try hooking up an additional hard drive to either IDE3 or IDE4 as
follows, the system hangs:

IDE1----------------Hard Drive(pri)--------CD rom(sec)
IDE2----------------Hard Drive(pri)--------Hard Drive(sec)
IDE3----------------Hard Drive(pri)
IDE4---- (unattached)

At the moment, I am not trying to boot off the IDE3 or IDE4 drive. Below
is the point at which the boot process stops:

HPT366: onboard version of chipset, pin1=1 pin2=2
HPT366: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 98
HPT366: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide2: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007, BIOS settings: hde:DMA, hdf:pio
HPT366: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 99
HPT366: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide3: BM-DMA at 0xec00-0xec07, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALLP KA18.2, ATA DISK drive
hdb: CD-532E-B, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdc: QUANTUM FIREBALLP KA18.2, ATA DISK drive
hdd: QUANTUM FIREBALLP KA18.2, ATA DISK drive
hde: QUANTUM FIREBALLP KA18.2, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
ide2 at 0xd800-0xd807,0xdc02 on irq 11
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALLP KA18.2, 17624MB w/371kB Cache, CHS=2246/255/63, UDMA(33)
hdc: QUANTUM FIREBALLP KA18.2, 17624MB w/371kB Cache, CHS=35808/16/63, UDMA(33)
hdd: QUANTUM FIREBALLP KA18.2, 17624MB w/371kB Cache, CHS=35808/16/63, UDMA(33)
(hang)

Please let me know what the next step is.

Best Regards,
Robert Laughlin