Re: Kernels do not compile anymore

Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:18:03 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > You just noticed this trend ??? ALL 2.1.x and 2.2.x kernel will not compile
> > with all modules turned "on" (Alan's versions are better but still can not
> > be compiled "out of box").
>
> 2.2.14 should be very very close to compile with any combination except
> a few we know are near unfixable. Arjan did a lot of work and fixed an
> amazing number of these problems.

I can contribute some work on company time on a "new" kernel if initrd
would compile. It doesn't have to "work". It only has to be "reconnected"
enough so I have a clue as to how its supposed to work. Given that, I
should be able to get it to work.

The company project I am working on uses Linux in an embeded system.
It boots from NVRAM (proprietary on-board, but proprietary only in
that you can't buy a NVRAM board and plug it into your PC). However,
I'll give anybody a Linux driver if they want to roll their own
NVRAM. This NVRAM, 32 pages of 64k, becomes a boot drive during
POST and boots Linux onto a permanent RAM disk containing the
application which replaces init. This 'init' does everything
to configure the network, GPIB, etc. Then launches several
servers. Basically, the whole thing does communications and
control of a VXI bus.

So, if somebody could fix up a new kernel so initrd would compile,
I could help find/repair bugs. Otherwise, I will have to stick
with 2.3.13, the last that worked.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.13 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).
Warning : The end of the world as we know it requires a new calendar.
Seconds : 1568517 (until Y2K)