Re: Supporting Macintosh FinderInfo/Resource Fork in Linux NWFS 2

justinf@us.ibm.com
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:09:01 -0500

Hi,

Mike wrote:

> Although you want easy-to-use and nice looking box drawing characters,
> you must realize that people using Kana/Kanji charsets, KOI8-R
> charsets, ISO-8859-* charsets, etc. may not have access to box drawing
> characters -- they are inherently nonportable. If you can't handle
> the appearance degradation that results from use of the ncurses box
> drawing functions (or those present in higher level text-widget
> libraries), I suggest you look at the "fat line" (background-color
> based) drawing used by e.g. the "dialog" package.

smitty, the terminal-based version of AIX's system management tool,
uses dashes (0x2d), pipes (0x7c), and plus signs (0x2b), like this:

| Press ENTER to continue or PF3 to exit |

Equal signs (0x3d) might be used instead:

+========================================+
| Press ENTER to continue or PF3 to exit |
+========================================+

I have seen other programs attempt to use the box-drawing
characters instead, with mixed results. They're nice glyphs if you
can get 'em [and you can get 'em if you try] but if you incorrectly
assume you have them the results can be terrible. You can always
query the current locale to try to determine whether the box-drawing
characters are supported.

Cheers,

Justin T. Fries
Raleigh, North Carolina