Re: Compiling kernel on different machine

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 12:10:36 EST

On 1 Mar 2000, Tony E. Bennett wrote:

>> >I am trying to use a faster machine to compile a kernel for my laptop that
>> >does not have the space to compile its own kernel. I tried this and it didn't
>> >work. When it came time to boot the kernel it hung on the laptop.
>> >
>> >My question is what files other than the bzImage file need to copied over. I
>> >tried to grab the modules and put them in /lib/module/2.2.14. What effect do
>> >the files in /boot make. Do I need these as well? If so which ones and where
>> >do I place them?
>>
>> The only mandatory needed files are the kernel image, and the
>> modules. The kernel should still boot without modules
>> though. In addition you should copy the System.map file to the
>> /boot dir too.
>>
>> That is it. If it doesn't boot, then perhaps something is not
>> right about your choice of config options.
>
>make sure you're not compiling for a different cpu than your laptop...

Ouch! Yes that is very important that you configure your kernel
for the laptop, and not just use the one from the other machine!

I keep the .configs for all my kernel builds on my main machines
/boot directory. They're all named uniquely by hostname/CPUtype
like:

K6-2.2.14-1asdf.capslock.lan

It is a good way of centrally keeping track of them all.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Suspicious Anagram #4: Word: PRESIDENT CLINTON OF THE USA Anagram: TO COPULATE HE FINDS INTERNS