Re: very large directories

From: Paolo Zeppegno (zeppegno.paolo@seat.it)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 12:04:17 EST

I noticed this problem with very large directories about two months ago,
after downloading
and unpacking the tar file of the freedb database (CD titles database).
Untarring it is painfully slow on my linux machine (and I mean
painfully), with a very high
percentage of system time.
While I may agree that having large directories may be bad programming
practice, i'm more
interested it's worse in linux.
And my perception, by looking at the high system time, and by the fact
that the freedb probably
works fine with that directory structure on other systems (otherwise
they wouldn't have done it)
make me think that linux is the culprit here.
By the way I also seem to recall a hint by Al Viro to an old
BSD opitimization with directory lookups
that may have something to do with this...

    Regards

    Paolo Zeppegno