Re: Compiling kernel on different machine

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 12:48:41 EST

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

>> I keep the .configs for all my kernel builds on my main machines
>> /boot directory. They're all named uniquely by hostname/CPUtype
>> like:
>>
>> K6-2.2.14-1asdf.capslock.lan
>>
>> It is a good way of centrally keeping track of them all.
>
>Ouch! All that typing :)
>
>I store my test machines' configurations by abbreviated hostname...
>
>rum -> ~/.rconfig
>bum -> ~/.bconfig
>num -> ~/.nconfig
>everything built into the kernel -> ~/.eyconfig
>
>etc
>
>That makes it much easier to switch in and out as you jump between
>configurations.

Typing? What is that...

make menuconfig
<switch to another VC>
ls /boot
gpm cut'n'paste from there to menuconfig
make mods, save and exit.

;o)

I'd never type that out.. ;o) I'd use filename completion first
if I had to. ;o)

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Suspicious Anagram #4: Word: PRESIDENT CLINTON OF THE USA Anagram: TO COPULATE HE FINDS INTERNS