sockets and NFS...

From: Luke Miller (millerlu@peak.org)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 16:57:57 EST

I have an NFS server running 2.2.13 (smp) and a client running
2.2.12-20smp. I am seeing error like this on the client system:

nfs: server khan2 not responding, still trying
nfs: server khan2 OK

I put a note on Redhat's bug tracking system thinking it was something
with NFS, they came back and said:

> there is some heavy networking going on there that makes the kernel on
> the client side to run out of available sockets. I doubt this is related
> to the NFS server.

Could somone point me in the right direction on changing the number of
kernel sockets.

I have been looking in /proc/net/sockstat and getting resaults like this:

sockets: used 243
TCP: inuse 141 highest 223
UDP: inuse 36 highest 64
RAW: inuse 2 highest 7

Am I looking in the right place here? Any help would be apprecated,
thanks.

Luke