Re: 2.2.X SMP CPU utilization issues .. Known ?

From: Gregory Hosler (gregory.hosler@eno.ericsson.se)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 01:48:25 EST

On 03-Mar-00 Patrick Cole wrote:

>> From: Patrick Cole <z@amused.net>
>> Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:32:14 -0500 (EST)
>> Subject: 2.2.X SMP CPU utilization issues .. Known ?
>>>
>>> I have a dual celeron machine, and am having problems with 2.2.X. The
>>> problems being that programs appear to be using almost half of my total
>>> processing power, when they really should not, which is strange. Now the
>>> interesting thing is that this problem does not occur in 2.3.X.
>>
>> I have the same problem. X seems to constantly take at least 30% CPU, even
>> if nothing is should irritate it. At first, X takes 0-1% when idle, but
>> after 1-2 days of use, the percentage raises to ~30% until I restart X.
>> Xmms also takes 5-15% even if it is not playing anything (paused/stopped).
>>
>> I use 2.2.14 and BP6 (2x466Celeron).
>>
>> ISRT others have reported this sort of thing on the Abit-linux mailing
>> lists as well.
>
> It would be nice if someone could elaborate on this issue, or provide some
> sort
> of possible explanation. The problem does exist, and /IS/ fixable, as seen
> with 2.3.

I've noticed this, but only w/ one process in particular. and I do not
have a uni-processor system for comparison, so I do not know if this
process is supposed to take 100% cpu utilization, or not (i suspect not,
I find it difficult to believe that a process is designed w/ 100% cpu
utilization in mind).

        pump

when I use pump to connect to my cable, it _consistently_ soaks one of the
cpu's. (that is to see that when I look at xosview, one of the CPU's is
running 100%, the other is "my other tasks".)

This is running kernel 2.2.5 (will be trying 2.2.14 this weekend), and
pump from RH 6.1

-Greg

E-Mail: Gregory Hosler <gregory.hosler@eno.ericsson.se>
Date: 03-Mar-00
Time: 14:46:58

        Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.