Re: Linux 2.2.15pre12 [VM fixes]

From: James Manning (jmm@computer.org)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 18:17:42 EST

[ Sunday, March 5, 2000 ] DeRobertis wrote:
> We've got processor priorities, why not memory priorities?

When you OOM, it's (typically) the case where it's a single process that's
going crazy and being a huge memory hog. Killing other processes ahead
of it won't typically mean very much, as you'll have to kill more until
you finally get to the spiraling-out-of-control memory hog.

If the case isn't this clear-cut, though, I think killing by pid
(highest->lowest) may be a decent hueristic since the most important
processes (init, loggers, etc) tend to be long-running ones started
early so they maintain pid's < 100.

James