Re: 2.3.49 rmmod broken + unkillable process

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 16:17:03 EST

On 06 Mar 2000 14:08:23 -0500,
nbecker@fred.net wrote:
>2.3.49 i686
>
>ps shows 90+% cpu used by:
>
>root 1590 99.7 0.1 1068 304 ? R 12:20 82:42 /sbin/rmmod -as
>
>kill -KILL will not kill it!
>
>/sbin/lsmod says:
>Module Size Used by
>lsmod: QM_INFO: No such file or directory
>

>But: cat /proc/modules says:
>scsi_mod 73276 0 (deleted)
>vmnet 18080 1
>vmmon 18660 0 (unused)
>autofs4 11388 3 (autoclean)
>nfsd 164920 8 (autoclean)
>lockd 48828 1 (autoclean) [nfsd]
>sunrpc 58116 1 (autoclean) [nfsd lockd]

It is probably not rmmod that is at fault. When a module is being
deleted, rmmod calls sys_delete_module which invokes the module's
cleanup_module routine. I suspect that the scsi_mod cleanup_module is
looping. Because the code is looping in the kernel, kill has no
effect.

But you have vmware loaded and we have no way of telling what that code
does, the main vmware code is binary only. It is quite possible that
vmware is causing this problem. If you can reproduce without loading
any binary only modules, repost the problem.