Re: Want to help with NTFS

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 09:04:21 EST

Anton Altaparmakov wrote:

> At 16:24 09/07/2000, Steve Dodd wrote:
> >On Sun, Jul 09, 2000 at 02:05:19PM +0200, Igmar Palsenberg wrote:
> > > Any clues yet in what way NTFS v 3.0 (win 2K) differs ?? The old driver
> > > ate the FS :-))
> >
> >I inferred from something Jeff said a while back that the volume management
> >stuff was storing data in blocks that were marked free in the block bitmap.
>
> I don't think so. This would cause corruption by the WinNT4 driver as
> well... (Unless there is a safe-guard in NT4 we are missing in linux.)

Anton,

You'd better go check this again. On W2K partitions, there's a reserved
area for the volume manager stuff. Your earlier version did step on
this info. Also, the volume information attribute is probably where we
are getting into trouble since the current driver does not appear to be
setting the UPGRADE_ON_MOUNT bits after you modify a W2K NTFS volume.
You probably need to experiment with these bits to see if W2K can mount
the volumes after you've written them.

:-)

Jeff