Re: CD Burning still busted 2.4.0-test3 - SCSI timeouts

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 23:40:11 EST

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 12:04:48AM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:

        [...]

> Your description makes it sound like the device has disconnection disabled in
> the SCSI BIOS (the CTRL-A message at boot up BIOS area). If that's the case,
> enabling disconnection on the CD-RW device should solve your problem. If
> that's not the case, then I suspect the mid layer SCSI code since the aic7xxx
> driver in 2.4.0-test3 (5.2.1, which is nothing more than a forward port of
> 5.1.31 from the 2.2.x kernel series) should be the same as the aic7xxx driver
> in 2.2.17pre (5.1.31).

        Bingo!

        ID 6 (The CD-RW drive) had disconnect disabled and synchronous
negotiation disabled. All the other targets had them both enabled. It's
not something I ever tinkered with, so it's always been that way and I was
burning CD's under 2.2.x just fine (I haven't used any of the 2.2.17pre
series).

        Setting disconnect to enabled seems to have solved both problems.
Nice shooting. I've had this card for a couple of years but I think I
inherited it when another system was upgraded to 16 bit drives. Guess
I should have checked the card settings. I've got another system at the
office doing the exact same thing (burns CD's under 2.2.16 and bombs
consistantly with 2.3.* 2.4.*) and that's a Philips 4200 CDR drive.
Guess I'll check that out tomorrow.

        Many thanks!

> --

> Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com> http://people.redhat.com/dledford
> Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before
> e-mailing me about problems

        Regards,
        Mike

--