[Q] System.map version control

From: Kevin Winchester (kwin@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 16:05:39 EST

I am just getting started with kernel testing,
and I have so far kept my different kernel
source trees named "linux-x.y.z", as I think is
standard, with a "linux" symlink to the one
I am currently working with.

When I build a new kernel I get a new System.map
file, which I copy to /boot/System.map-x.y.z, to
not overwrite the old one. If I want to boot
both the old and new kernels, with different
System.map files, how do I instruct the kernel
as to which one to use? I expected there to be
a LILO option, but the man page doesn't seem to
include one. Can someone let me in on the secret?

Kevin Winchester