Re: [Q] System.map version control

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 07:55:41 EST

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Kevin Winchester wrote:

>I am just getting started with kernel testing,
>and I have so far kept my different kernel
>source trees named "linux-x.y.z", as I think is
>standard, with a "linux" symlink to the one
>I am currently working with.
>
>When I build a new kernel I get a new System.map
>file, which I copy to /boot/System.map-x.y.z, to
>not overwrite the old one. If I want to boot
>both the old and new kernels, with different
>System.map files, how do I instruct the kernel
>as to which one to use? I expected there to be
>a LILO option, but the man page doesn't seem to
>include one. Can someone let me in on the secret?

I believe it is automatic. I've been doing the same for a long
time, and I'm almost positive that someone mentioned that either
the kernel, or modutils or something takes care of it.

I'm not 100% sure however...

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.