Re: Do ramdisk exec's map direct to buffer cache?

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 04:55:14 EST

greyham@research.canon.com.au said:
> I've got a couple of questions I've often pondered regarding the
> optimal mix of library size, static vs dynamic linking and root
> filesystem choice to minimise RAM requirements in Embedded Linux
> systems, and I'm wondering if anyone here can enlighten me please:

It seems to me that a ramdisk is a waste of space if it's preloaded by the
bootloader from anywhere that's physically accessible by the kernel.

Many people have been doing so on embedded systems because we haven't had
drivers for flash chips and flash filing systems. (plug plug)

My current inclination is to make CONFIG_BLK_DEV a config option, turn it
off to save space, and use JFFS directly on flash chips, with ramfs for /tmp
and possibly also /var

I'm fairly sure that ramfs does share pages as you'd hope it does.

--
dwmw2