Re: Problems with Compaq Proliant and 2.4.0-test series

From: Mario Mikocevic (mozgy@hinet.hr)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 04:59:40 EST

Hi,

> > > Well, it seems that #1 and #2 are corelated. Now, here's even more fun things ->
> > >
> > > if I boot test2 with OS setting set to OTHER server boots as UP and eepro100 works,
> > >
> > > if I boot test3 (pre2, pre5 and pre7 tested) with OS on OTHER server boots as UP but
> > > eepro100 spits 'eth0: card reports no RX buffers.' with endless slow stream of
> > > 'eepro100: wait_for_cmd_done timeout!' !?
> > >
> > > if I boot any of those test[23] kernels with BIOS OS setting to Unixware (set as 7
> > > I don't know if it makes difference) server boots as SMP but eepro100 is deaf with
> > > following errors :
> > > NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> > > eth0: Transmit timed out: status e050 0c00 at 0/28 command 0001a000.
>
> Some BIOS(es) fail to put a usable address in the PCI registers for
> some devices. For instance, if you have a shared-memory buffer that
> is Nk in length, it must be on a Nk boundary! Some BIOSes ignore this
> which may prevent the first portion of an allocated buffer from being
> addressed. See if you can get a BIOS upgrade. If not, see if your driver
> can take a parameter (using append=) from LILO.

Thanks, that did it, BIOS upgrade helped a lot. Web page for Compaq ProLiant 6500 (P11)
contains very fresh BIOS upgrade (23/Jun/2000) that solved most of my problems.

It boots SMP now and both ethernet and scsi works. Next problem is how to get both
eepro100 cards working together but that'll go directly to maintainer.

Thanks again to all of you that tried to help,

--
Mario Mikočević (Mozgy)
My favourite FUBAR ...